PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer Amp Setting

sunnytan31
23-Feb-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi everyone,

2 questions have been bothering me ever since I had my ICE installed.

Connection - Amp was bridged and connect to my dual-coil sub @ 2 ohm.

On the amp portion, there is a switch that shows HPF, LPF and FULL. Currently, I set it to FULL bcos my HU support SUB-Out and able to select 75Hz, 125Hz and 250Hz, hence I able to change the frequency anytime.

Is there any sound different if i select LPF and let the amp do the filtering? Or wat is the best pratice? I also aware that the amp side can set even lower frequency...

Next,

Any SQ difference if i set my sub to 2ohm (Parallel) or 8ohm (Series)? 4ohm is out bcos i only run 1 pair of cable.

Cheers.... :smartass:

truxion
27-Feb-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone,

2 questions have been bothering me ever since I had my ICE installed.

Connection - Amp was bridged and connect to my dual-coil sub @ 2 ohm.

On the amp portion, there is a switch that shows HPF, LPF and FULL. Currently, I set it to FULL bcos my HU support SUB-Out and able to select 75Hz, 125Hz and 250Hz, hence I able to change the frequency anytime.

Is there any sound different if i select LPF and let the amp do the filtering? Or wat is the best pratice? I also aware that the amp side can set even lower frequency...

Next,

Any SQ difference if i set my sub to 2ohm (Parallel) or 8ohm (Series)? 4ohm is out bcos i only run 1 pair of cable.

Cheers.... :smartass:

Try to help if i can...
1) you can use your HU to set. However, it's been known that sometimes the frequency is not as clean; thus you may need to block higher frequency from the amp side. So you can try to set it in the amp and see if there's any difference or not.

2) normally we don't set it up for 8 ohm lor for 2 reasons:
a) 8 ohm is for home usage
b) 2 ohm and 8 ohm is 4 times difference in terms of power.
If your amp can support 2 ohm, then go for 2 ohm; 8 ohm is considered "weak".

Nothing78
27-Feb-2009, 03:26 PM
Just nice saw some post at sgsoundsystem that related to your post. maybe you can read to get more info.

http://www.sgsoundsystem.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1861

Alot of ICE question can found answer there. :yes:

sunnytan31
01-Mar-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks bros...

I jus switch back to 8ohm bcos i realised 2ohm, my sub sounds overload. And i also reduce my amp gain and increase output from my HU. Sounds better but no time to tune my EQ.

truxion
01-Mar-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks bros...

I jus switch back to 8ohm bcos i realised 2ohm, my sub sounds overload. And i also reduce my amp gain and increase output from my HU. Sounds better but no time to tune my EQ.

haha... have fun :)