PDA

View Full Version : Car starts, and then DIES!

nikolaiski
21-Nov-2009, 02:40 PM
As above...

Cranks succesfully, then starts, but then dies immediately after. Do you think there's a problem with the throttle body?

Gasket ok (radiator still full of coolant) and fuel pump appears to be working. But exhaust deposits very BLACK.

Some eediot tried to scare me and say it's my crankshaft sensor...bleh*

Must be the RON95 i pump :(

Anyone experienced this b4?

MZSport
23-Nov-2009, 11:52 AM
Maybe ur high pressure fuel pump is not working on preset pressure (50Kpa)... maybe it damage.. ?!
Or sometimes its the injector issue also..

darkwolf
23-Nov-2009, 12:59 PM
maybe too rich? need to clear carbon?

Greaser
23-Nov-2009, 02:01 PM
It most probably the fuel pump faulty or the regulator that doesn't pump the petrol out..

nikolaiski
23-Nov-2009, 03:33 PM
hey bro greaser i tried contacting you to see how much u charge to tow my car from Alexandra to Chia Ping road tomo morning at 8:30am. Line mati ah..lol

kqkqcinta
23-Nov-2009, 04:59 PM
bro for your case i guess u need to put back stock BOV and try la:)

nikolaiski
23-Nov-2009, 11:09 PM
errr...my car is stock. S T O C K. RIMS, BOV, intake, exhaust, EVERYTHING stock! lol

Greaser
24-Nov-2009, 01:11 PM
sorry bro. i was asleep..i did call u back u never pick up..How's ur car?

nikolaiski
25-Nov-2009, 02:18 PM
High pressure fuel pump spoil..replace 2nd hand one..$800 incl labour...bleh*..if your car starts, and then dies immediately after, then it is probably that thing because altho it has enough fuel pressure to start the car, the isn't enough pressure to maintain the running engine as the pump is broken, hence there is fuel starvation followed by the ECU safety cutting off the engine, err, according to what i observed lah.

MZSport
25-Nov-2009, 05:02 PM
High pressure fuel pump spoil..replace 2nd hand one..$800 incl labour...bleh*..if your car starts, and then dies immediately after, then it is probably that thing because altho it has enough fuel pressure to start the car, the isn't enough pressure to maintain the running engine as the pump is broken, hence there is fuel starvation followed by the ECU safety cutting off the engine, err, according to what i observed lah.

As i guess so... Its 2 items is one of the weakest & problematic items on the GDI engine.
- TB
- High pressure fuel pump

nikolaiski
26-Nov-2009, 02:26 AM
i have a feeling my TB is next on the grim reaper's list of parts to die..when i start the car it revs up to 2000 rpm and then down to 800 rpm, and back up to 1500 rpm again..and then down to 1000 rpm, so on...workshop says the ECU is re-learning cuz it was reset during the diagnostic process..so hope it's less bad afterwards.

MZSport
26-Nov-2009, 09:35 AM
i have a feeling my TB is next on the grim reaper's list of parts to die..when i start the car it revs up to 2000 rpm and then down to 800 rpm, and back up to 1500 rpm again..and then down to 1000 rpm, so on...workshop says the ECU is re-learning cuz it was reset during the diagnostic process..so hope it's less bad afterwards.

Pray hard its not the TPS problem if not gonna change the TB all together... Or u could move to the dark side if u wan... haha.

chuathomas
26-Nov-2009, 03:09 PM
I am oso experiencing similar problem with my CS 5, after starting the rpm will fluctuate and sometimes the engine just shutdown, was suspecting to be TB problem but seems like there is more than meets the eye :(

kqkqcinta
26-Nov-2009, 07:02 PM
I am oso experiencing similar problem with my CS 5, after starting the rpm will fluctuate and sometimes the engine just shutdown, was suspecting to be TB problem but seems like there is more than meets the eye :(

confirm more then just to meet :)

nikolaiski
27-Nov-2009, 12:26 AM
hmm..today the erratic idling "problem" is less bad. now no more 2000 rpm liao. In "D" it is normal, in "N" it idles at 1000 rpm and sometimes, goes up to 1500rpm when the air con compressor is off.

btw...i think chuathomas kena shocked after reading this..after not posting in a long time suddenly post :P haha

nikolaiski
28-Nov-2009, 07:05 PM
update:

after so called learning period of the ECU (driven over 100km) the engine idles as per normal and the torque converter doesn't abruptly lock and unlock in 4th gear anymore

thirteenbee
30-Nov-2009, 11:14 PM
.replace 2nd hand one..$800 incl labour <= got a little high a not the cost..?? how much is new ones..? 1500?

Zircodin
01-Dec-2009, 01:04 AM
hi all

i've ALSO experienced this problem before.

startup:
my startup rpm will be like 2k - 2.5k for about 20secs before idling at about 1k. sounds like a jet starting up according to my friends. checked with alex at AMK autopoint. (apparently he's one of the gurus of cs5.) he not sure on this one.

startup and die:
this one he has diagnosed to be one of many problems. i can't remember the details but mentioned that the lamda sensor is faulty. can read more about it here

http://www.picoauto.com/applications/lambda-sensor.html

so what he did for me was to do some basic tuning that managed to solve the problem. now it doesn't happen unless i violent accelerate and let go the accelerator at low speeds... then the lambda sensor signal will max out the ecu and likely the engine will die.

nikolaiski
01-Dec-2009, 01:41 AM
.replace 2nd hand one..$800 incl labour <= got a little high a not the cost..?? how much is new ones..? 1500?

Actually the pump itself costs $600 2nd hand..one of those "refurbished" units..brand new no stock, and it is $1300...

Labour for taking the WHOLE top apart, 2 FULL days of diagnostics, cleaning the TB and inlet manifold all came to about $800 total lor...trust me..i see them do..short of a top half overhaul..i think everything also they tried before they found the problem..haha

subzilow
18-Dec-2010, 08:47 PM
hi guys, bumping this one up on maintenance for TB and the HP fuel pump. seems like most problems comes from those 2.
http://www.lancermotoringclub.com/showthread.php?t=22381

so far I read that RV is good for cleaning the TB, chemically clean it. Should clean it every 10K?

Not sure on maintaining the fuel pump though. Any guru's help here?