PDA

View Full Version : 1982 EX Lancer Engine Swap

hellzsupernova
01-Aug-2010, 11:15 PM
Alrighty new here not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes :)

I have a 1982 Mitsubishi Lancer EX oldschool rwd. I am contemplating putting a sr20det into it. I have a motor, gearbox, ecu, loom, engine mounts, driveshaft yoke, starter, altnator, std turbo. Just wondering if anyone knows of anything else is required?

Do i need a hydrolic clutch pedal for example, i personally don't know a lot about cars. I imgine i will need to modify the exsiting engine mounts to fit the new engine.

any help would be much appreciated thanks :)

darkwolf
01-Aug-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm not sure if your country New Zealand has strict regulation.

Well It goods but if you have turbo. You will also need turbo timer , intercooler and pipping, boost controller.

Also if you putting a new engine you will also need to have specific extractor/header that fit into your exhaust output.

hellzsupernova
02-Aug-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm not sure if your country New Zealand has strict regulation.

Well It goods but if you have turbo. You will also need turbo timer , intercooler and pipping, boost controller.

Also if you putting a new engine you will also need to have specific extractor/header that fit into your exhaust output.

yeah i also need a radiator. cheers.

also does anyone know of anyone who has done this before and could provide tips etc would be awesome

nigeln
05-Aug-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi bro if you are looking at engine swaps, you might want to check out SR20 forums. They'll provide you with lots of info, and even parts that you may need!

Have fun! That's one of my dream engines.

nigeln
06-Aug-2010, 05:30 AM
Check out:

http://www.mysr20.com/

http://www.sr20det.net/

nikolaiski
07-Aug-2010, 05:40 AM
in Malaysia, i've seen EVERYTHING with an SR20 in it - A31 Nissan Cefiros, Toyota AE86s, TE31s, MAZDA RX-7s...BMW E30...lol

You know the amazing part?

Most of these cars DID NOT have to change their engine mounts, so I really don't know how to do it..but have your mech check your car out, and I'm positively sure it can be done slowly without much hassle.

Where is the gearbox from?

nigeln
08-Aug-2010, 01:59 AM
Hmm.. I wonder if anyone has an SR20DET in their CS3 in SG.

nikolaiski
09-Aug-2010, 10:06 PM
Modern FWD lancers can't fit a transversely mounted engine lah. The SR20's crank facing the backside to accomodate the RWD axle and with a 4G63 I doubt anyone would be crazy enough to RWD their CS3...or would they? -grin-

nigeln
10-Aug-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm a bit unclear. I thought the crank is at the same side of the engine block, so technically, you can just drop in the SR20 and mate it to the gearbox. The problem is the engine mounting differences.