PDA

View Full Version : Compressor surge (dedicated to subzilow..hahaha)

nikolaiski
18-Feb-2011, 10:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCj6Spwl1CU&feature=player_embedded

Ths is what compressor surge looks like (close up of turbo and real time dyno graph) in extreme cases...

alot of friend's cars recently i have come across with TOO HARD (too much) a preload in their BOVs, causing the flutter sound (the kuk kukukukuk sound) when the boost load is low, while under full boost (usually 0.5 bar and above) the BOV opens wide with no problem.

Problem can be corrected by using softer preload springs if you can find, or changing a softer BOV rated for lower boost. Hope that helps :)

Also, for CS5, I noticed it was worth taking a look at turbosmart BPVs instead of BOVs if you cannot find the HKS type...for our sensitive airflow sensors:

http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=48

subzilow
22-Feb-2011, 12:01 AM
haha thanks thanks!
i still haven rectify the problem cos im still overseas.
i read somewhere that small flutter at low boost is okay as it wont do much damage to the turbo. and that small flutter cannot be avoided.

so you mean it shouldnt flutter at all, in low or high boost?

nikolaiski
22-Feb-2011, 03:39 AM
well in a VERY HIGH BOOST (like, the 3 bar Bullseye drag shit that kind or 1JZ supra single turbos) turbo a small amount of flutter at slightly wide open throttle is fine. HOWEVER, your car flutters more than it doesn't,(the only time it doesn't is when you are nearly full boost or more than half throttle which is quite alot) so it is a problem lah. Some more, not boosting high, so by right the problem should not even occur.

Eh, turbosmart bypass valves in Singapore selling for $360..expensive or not? Just inquired via Turbo One in Jurong.

nikrome_wire
27-Feb-2011, 01:55 PM
i just installed synapse diverter valve for $399.

MZSport
28-Feb-2011, 09:37 AM
Or you could get HKS SSQV3 also the same technology w synapse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0R1KvQRk84

nikolaiski
28-Feb-2011, 01:08 PM
yo where did you install it?

at the moment there are three bypass valve (diverter valve) choices then...

Synapse ($399), Turbosmart ($360) and SSQV (dunno how much but sure damn ex..lol)

nikrome_wire
28-Feb-2011, 07:41 PM
Or you could get HKS SSQV3 also the same technology w synapse.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0R1KvQRk84

nope. synapse is a DIVERTER VALVE, which pumps back the released gas into the intake, and it sounds WAYYYYYYYYYYY cooler then those ssqv

nikolaiski: HKS SSQV is vent to atmosphere. the selling point of it is the loud sound it makes. $399 is bought over ebay, i think cannot find a better deal in singapore. can give you the link if you're interested

MZSport
02-Mar-2011, 09:43 AM
nope. synapse is a DIVERTER VALVE, which pumps back the released gas into the intake, and it sounds WAYYYYYYYYYYY cooler then those ssqv

nikolaiski: HKS SSQV is vent to atmosphere. the selling point of it is the loud sound it makes. $399 is bought over ebay, i think cannot find a better deal in singapore. can give you the link if you're interested

Dude. When you use pump back valve. You wouldnt be able to hear much sound, how could it be damn cool then the atmoshere types? BTW, SSQV valve head can be changed to get different sound (3 types - Purple, Gold, Normal-Comes with BOV)

If you wanna chiong HKS SSQV3 bov can get it in JB. - SGD$150+/-
GarageR selling around 400. (Jdm)

nikrome_wire
02-Mar-2011, 10:49 AM
Hi there, actually synapse's valve is pretty loud from the outside.

nikolaiski
03-Mar-2011, 04:08 AM
haha yea i prefer diverter valves to BOVs as well...the image is err, i dunno, less cheong..lol..dunno how to say..sound like ppl flushing toilet bowl instead of ppl sneezing...hahaha

madjester
25-Apr-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi Sifus, on this topic, to install BOV like HKS SSQV3, is it plug and play or need to custom make flange or piping?

Jayyie
25-Apr-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi experts, so which is better for our cs5??? Because I'm using a blitz bov but the feeling when it boost abit weird.. So would like to know all this 3 type which is better for cs5 since the price almost the same :) need advice thanks :)

Jayyie
25-Apr-2011, 01:24 PM
i just installed synapse diverter valve for $399.

Bro where you install it??