Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

depends on whether you're on macpherson or wishbone...
    but of cos, i'm only a noobie, still learning from the gurus...

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrzeug View Post
    haha, what do you want to know about wheel alignment. Regarding wheel alignment. The knowledge is so deep that it can be written into a book.

I think I can only explain on Camber, toe, caster here. Some of the more common ones. Let me dig into my old files... hee...

haha, what do you want to know about wheel alignment. Regarding wheel alignment. The knowledge is so deep that it can be written into a book.

I think I can only explain on Camber, toe, caster here. Some of the more common ones. Let me dig into my old files... hee...
    hi Fahrzeug,
    u r a lecturer?
    i read a few post of urs.....
    getting blur... haha... i am not mech trained :P

but all these post are very useful, keep up to good works.

now i know, i don need to install strut bar, adjustable shocks, and upside the rim. cos i am just a casual driver. no track, but once a while go jb n clear carbon onli
    :)

Thanks to sources from
    BOSCH Automotive Handbook by Robert Bosch GmbH 2007
    Advanced Vehicle Technology by Heinz Heisler

Shown in the picture below are the wheel alignment drawings

The information found here are generic. Knowing it helps to understand the wheel alignment values you see from the report. Apart from these, there are also more things involved which in my opinion, it is better for the learner to approach authorized institutions to find out about them.

gamma = camber angle
    This is the inclination of the wheel axis in relation to the road surface in the vertical plane. The camber angle is negative when the top of the wheel is inclined toward the center of the vehicle. It creates minor auxiliary side forces; above all, it compensates for the effects of roll angle during cornering.

Camber affects the vehicle contact patch during driving. Optimum contact patches can be achieved by using the correct camber. Different vehicle wheel suspensions can also affect the reliability of the adjusted camber. At the same time, different vehicle suspensions can cause a change in camber when lowering of vehicle cabin or replacement of shock absorbers. Eg. Double wishbone suspensions

Some vehicles with suspensions like the Macpherson strut with wishbone have limited kinematic possibilities in regards to camber change. For some vehicles without camber adjusting facilities, a camber kit can be installed to adjust the vehicle camber.

n = Castor
    Positive castor is the distance between the wheel contact point and the point at which the steering axis intersects the road (viewed from the side). Castor determines the degree of self centering action in the steering and influences straight running and steering forces when cornering.

Imagine the supermarket shopping trolley. The front wheel is a steering wheel. When you push the shopping trolley, the driving force is coming from the rear. Now you have a ‘Rear wheel drive’ shopping trolley. The front wheels will automatically ‘self correct’ and give you a positive castor. For Front wheel drive cars, the castor is negative. Imgaine the shopping trolley now has front steered wheels that self generate rotating force.

Seen above is the diagram of the wheel caster.

Nil castor affects the vehicle straight ahead driving as the steered wheel tend to switch from side to side.

DELTAvs = Toe In
    Toe in is the angle between the vehicle’s longitudinal axis and a plane through the center of the steered wheel tire. It can also be defined as half the difference in the distance between the wheels front and rear rim flange. Toe in affects straight running stability as well as steering and in the case of FWD vehicles, compensates for the resulting elastokinematic changes in track.

On the left you see the diagram that shows directional stability with positive toe when one wheel skids while being braked.
    On the right you see the diagram that shows directional stability with negative toe when one wheel skids while being braked.

During braking for negative toe (toe in), the wheels self correct when one wheel loses traction. Thus maintaining the car’s straight ahead position. But when the toe is positive, the wheels will not self correct when one wheel loses traction. The car will veer to the side that the tyre did not lose traction.

Now, try reading the following wheel alignment values taken from a car measured in Germany on a standard chassis. (not sports chassis) Do they make sense to you now?

Front Axle
    Toe
    0°14'+0°08'-0°08'

Camber
    -0°20'+0°20'-0°20'

Caster
    5°37'+0°30'-0°30'

Rear Axle
    Toe
    0°16'+0°06'-0°06'

Camber
    -1°30'+0°15'-0°15'
    You become the subject of ridicule when your own people have to emancipate for their entitlements, so, don't blame the online hostility, we just want our rights as lawful citizens of our own country.

waaa, so many words... see already also blur blur liao me...
    :svengo:

Bro Fahrzeug

You are a guru for car. Thanks. I have read thru very thing u post here.
    :tt2:Cheers:tt2:

Quote Originally Posted by rayon View Post
    Bro Fahrzeug

You are a guru for car. Thanks. I have read thru very thing u post here.
    Thank you, I am utterly flattered. I am no guru. I also started off as a ground mechanic and started learning from ground zero. Glad to know it has helped in a way.
    You become the subject of ridicule when your own people have to emancipate for their entitlements, so, don't blame the online hostility, we just want our rights as lawful citizens of our own country.

Tkx for sharing... :clap:
    Success Will Always Ne With You, As Long You Place Safety As Your First Priority

Any guys here interested to attend suspensions training organised in Malaysia? on 3-4 June in PJ.

i want to zhng my car.
    my frens say this mod is good,
    the forum say its good,
    the workshop mechanic also say its good.
    i go and zhng,
    the workshop service very good,
    after its done, mechanic test drive, he say its good.
    I pay money, I drive, i think its good.
    I ask my fren to test, they say its good,
    i drive again, its really good.
    I happy! haha

this is the art of happiness through zhnging....
    Stay Stock or Look Stock!

MagicOPromotion Guest

Default handling upgrades

Ive used the gold version of super blue in my z06 since I got the car over a year ago without any AH problems that I could relate to brake fluid. However, sometimes my handling of the car is less than stellar. Larry

My senior in this line once gave me a website that comprehensively explains about handling matters. The succinct coverage makes it very practical to know. Click here for the webbie.

Thanx for the info..gd stuff as usual :)
    -- SAVE A HORSE...RIDE A COWBOY--

Quote Originally Posted by numatic View Post
    Thanx for the info..gd stuff as usual :)
    Click here for even better ones. Comprehensive guide to Shock absorbers from ZF SACHS AG.

Click here for even better ones. Comprehensive guide to Shock absorbers from ZF SACHS AG.
    Will check the site out...thanx :)
    -- SAVE A HORSE...RIDE A COWBOY--

Anyone can throw in their feedback regarding lowering springs and coilovers, the pros and cons of a lowered ride? Probably having a stable car at corners, but with the risk of scratching the undercarriage?

Also, has anyone weigh the total weight of all the seats + spare tyre? Am thinking of removing all the seats + spare tyre and getting a pair of bucket seats.. Some weight reduction from car. Sreet legal?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    sky_vinz

Quote Originally Posted by sky_vinz View Post
    Anyone can throw in their feedback regarding lowering springs and coilovers, the pros and cons of a lowered ride? Probably having a stable car at corners, but with the risk of scratching the undercarriage?

Also, has anyone weigh the total weight of all the seats + spare tyre? Am thinking of removing all the seats + spare tyre and getting a pair of bucket seats.. Some weight reduction from car. Sreet legal?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm sure when u say scratching of undercarriage u mean that happens when negotiating monster humps and steep slopes, and not during cornering right?

as for seats, i guess u mean the front passenger and driver's seat only right? having carried them before, i'm sure they are not light and both seats should easily weigh up to abt 30kg? as for the spare tire, maybe abt 10kg?

there are 2 types of bucket seats in the market. 1 is full buckets where u cant adjust the incline and the other is the adjustable one. the full buckets are way lighter than the adjustable ones.

as for legality, please refer to the following link.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...l#MainPar_0006

hope it helps.

Bro Monsta: Yep, the risk of scratching the undercarriage when driving through tall humps, and well as those steep slopes at various carparks.

Actually I was thinking of removing all (front + rear) seats, and getting a pair of bucket seats. Converting into 2seater. =D So I suppose I can save about 50kg or so?

However, removing of rear seats and spare tyre, are they in the grey zone?
    Regards
    sky_vinz

rear seat should be very significant. wah!
    Stay Stock or Look Stock!

can remove rear seats. no problem there...
    but why don't consider getting a two-door car instead? now price drop to 70k only!

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/i...=49213&DL=1013

hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by sky_vinz View Post
    Bro Monsta: Yep, the risk of scratching the undercarriage when driving through tall humps, and well as those steep slopes at various carparks.

Actually I was thinking of removing all (front + rear) seats, and getting a pair of bucket seats. Converting into 2seater. =D So I suppose I can save about 50kg or so?

However, removing of rear seats and spare tyre, are they in the grey zone?

searchguide: Really legal to remove rear seats? But confirm okie with LTA side? Haha! Worry la, yet no money yet to buy a 2seater.
    Regards
    sky_vinz