Default Use of Lightweight Crank Pulley?

Hi bro. May I know what is the use/improvement of changing Lightweight Crank Pulley?thanks.

crank pulley is located at the lower park of the engine block. it is mouned on the crankshaft where your piston and connecting rods are connected. if u change to a lighter crank pulley it will lighten your crankshaft load and hence your rpm will go up slightly faster

The crank pulley drives the belting that carries aircon compressor and alternator etc and is connected to the shaft so adds load to the engine.

the weight of the CP is not very signifcantly lower (500g to 1.5kg difference) but try spinning a can of coke on a top or a Beyblade and you could see why there is a perceptive but slight difference on momentum both increasing the spinning speed and decelerating the rpm so slightly. Faster rpm = faster pickup > quicker engine brake ??

But some bros correctly feel that rpm response is only part of the equation to power when the entire weight of the car is loaded on the engine , its definitely ONLY part of the TUNING mod if speed is what you are after. also there is always the concern of the long term wear and effect of non-approved parts on the critical key component of the engine.

thanks all bros which ans my question.:)

bro if you ask me keep things stock till they worn out, this kind of things you spend not work the hp gained

gotto agree with gargoyle not worth the power vs money spent... but good to know though so yea the experts have spoken

using it now. not much feel. but my fc improve a little for CVT ride. pick up respond a bit. aircon suddenly very cold. tt is my personal feel. maybe like some other ppl out there saying ur car is lighter in terms of the weight as compare to stock crank

i think its a good mod to buy 2nd hand. Does have a bit improvement when moving off from stop.
    Stay Stock or Look Stock!

totally agree wit Bro Des. feels difference on pick. not problem for upslope too. i can say, all my brades re using it.

Is there a particular good brand for the lightweight crank pulley ? Does anyone knows the exact weight difference between the stock and lightweight crank pulley ?

Try Summit. Alutec ones according to my mechanic eats belt at a faster rate.

Hi bro, I'm no expert here still learning. I think b4 change to light weight pulley. U spend $13+ to buy the magazine call 'option' Singapore version. 1st I not promote them or associate with them. I read from there say the light weight pulley U change if rpm too fast will create a sight call 'cavitation' mean bubble inside the cooling system. It can cos high temp. The detail maybe Guys can goggle. As I not a good explainer.

Cheers hope no offen anyone in this post. Tks

Lightened Crank Pulley to many bros was known as an unorthodox modification. For my CVT, I don't feel drastic effects as the effects after fixing it is just a slight difference in feel when pick-up & slightly faster engine braking. The effects are rather very minimum, not sure how much the effects after tuning. The cons of this modification is that it eats our engine belt at a faster rate than our stock crank pulley, & there will be a slight squeaky sound coming from the engine belt which will slowly goes off after warming up every time u switched on ur engine.

Quote Originally Posted by kangwei View Post
    Lightened Crank Pulley to many bros was known as an unorthodox modification. For my CVT, I don't feel drastic effects as the effects after fixing it is just a slight difference in feel when pick-up & slightly faster engine braking. The effects are rather very minimum, not sure how much the effects after tuning. The cons of this modification is that it eats our engine belt at a faster rate than our stock crank pulley, & there will be a slight squeaky sound coming from the engine belt which will slowly goes off after warming up every time u switched on ur engine.
    bro im going to install aftermarket ones do u think is okay or not? btw whats a harmonic dampener?

U can try Summit de. I'm using mine for past 2 years without any problems. *touchwood*. Sty no idea about the harmonic damper.

I belief the harmonic damper is the thin lining of rubber found between the outer rim and inside of the original crank pulley .. they act as a cushion to lessen noise and vibration from changes in speed of the spinning belt and pulleys between various components , alternators .. aircon compressors ., pumps etc

... The aluminium lightened ones are casted one piece and so no rubber dampening. ..

Agreed with this bro. Stock pulley is the best. Only race cars use lightened ones. KW yours racecar leh..

Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    Agreed with this bro. Stock pulley is the best. Only race cars use lightened ones. KW yours racecar leh..
    Agree that stock is the best.. Disagree that mine is a race car.. 'cos I don't race & my ride is slow.. haha bro..