Default Tuning without UniChip??

Hi guys, I just want to find out whether is it possible to do tuning without any unichip or any kind of piggy back? I sent my car for servicing before and the mechanic supposedly retune my cs3 even though I didn't have any kind of piggy back. It was even itemized in the invoice as "ecu tuning". I kena cheated???

how much did they charge u for it? Or did they do a simple ECU reset?

Hmm.. unless they do a ECU Reflash lor.. which not many ppl knows how to do it..

hmm...I'm not sure how much for the tuning specifically, cos it was part of the entire servicing that day - including oil change, tyre change, etc... Chip Soon Auto...anyone heard of that shop?

Bro.. How much u pay for total amount??
    Thank you! :driving:

Javier Aka Devilz79 (魔鬼七十九) :reddevil:

on another hand I don't think a workshop charges for ECU Reset leh.. First time hearing it.. if it's tuning via ECU Reflash then they'll charge..

Quote Originally Posted by devilz79 View Post
    Bro.. How much u pay for total amount??
    I paid roughly $800++ for everything - I remembered I changed 2 tyres, change oil, change spark plugs, throttle body cleaning (or something like that), plus some other standard servicing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ftorres View Post
    on another hand I don't think a workshop charges for ECU Reset leh.. First time hearing it.. if it's tuning via ECU Reflash then they'll charge..
    So what's the diff between tuning via ECU reflash and tuning via piggy back? Aside from the obvious fact that the second option you need a piggy back :P

Does any workshop know how to reflash the ecu???I wanna go try also LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
    So what's the diff between tuning via ECU reflash and tuning via piggy back? Aside from the obvious fact that the second option you need a piggy back :P
    Did u see ey connect a laptop to ur car.. Did ey test drive or asked u to test drive with em with connected to laptop??
    Thank you! :driving:

Javier Aka Devilz79 (魔鬼七十九) :reddevil:

Quote Originally Posted by coudxf View Post
    Does any workshop know how to reflash the ecu???I wanna go try also LOL
    From what i know no workshop do reflash..

Harmony does reflash of factory ECU. So far I have not heard of anyone that is able to tune CS3 factory ECU directly. if there is one, no one will go for piggyback.

I donno what tyres you change, but if it is a normal tyres, then 800+ for all the items you mention is consider chop carrot. but if this workshop can tune factory ECU directly.. 800 is not that expensive afterall..
    Stay Stock or Look Stock!

alex is able to tune the stock ecu via a obd cable & laptop...
    he's tuned quite a fair number of CS & EX lancers...
    http://www.lancermotoringclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=33124

or maybe there is a a unichip or piggy somewhere in your ride you are not aware of? go back workshop n ask for details and clarification. while you did not mention what are the parts that were change i assumed its a standard norm 10k servicing.

2 x pc rubber = $200+-
    engine oil + plugs = $80 - 130+-
    fluids like brake, steering blah blah another $100?
    gearbox(mt) = $60?
    re-flash ecu = FOC.

thats all i could think of.

it would be good if you can provide more details~

cheers,
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    we study hard so that people don't look down on us, we study even harder so that we don't look down on people...

*p.s I am returning whatever knowledge that is taken from here by posting it back. I am not guru, not pro but just another LMC supporter. :cheers2:

I paid roughly $800++ for everything - I remembered I changed 2 tyres, change oil, change spark plugs, throttle body cleaning (or something like that), plus some other standard servicing stuff.
    Hmmm.. let me do some rough calculation.. and most of the items I quote are roughly around the market price or slightly higher.

i. 2 tyres - are they 15" normal tyres? if yes, then at most about S$200/-.

ii. spark plugs - normal or iridium ones? assuming iridium ones which are more expensive, they cost about S$80/-

iii. Normal servicing, including change of engine oil and oil filter - S$130/-

iv. TB cleaning - S$40/- to S$60/-. (for this case lets just take it as S$60/-)

v. Re-Tune ECU - ???

vi. did they change anything else? when is the last time you serviced your car and what is your car current mileage? some stuffs which I can think of off hand are :-

power steering fluid, brake fluids, transmission fluid, brake pads, skimming of rotors etc etc.

if you are encountering 80k or other major servicing, then stuffs like timing belts and such needs to be changed.

i + ii + iii + iv = 200 + 80 + 130 + 60 = 470. (assuming nothing else was changed)

Lets say you paid 800 in all, you paid S$330 for the ECU Tuning. Mechanics won't anyhow tune your car without your permission or direction to tune it. unless its your regular workshop and they already know what you want.

Assuming you have an existing piggyback in your car, re-tuning cost S$280 at CH Motors.

Unless they did a reflash for your car or tuned your ECU directly (which I don't think they did under normal circumstances), then the S$330 is worth it.. if its just a reset of ECU, then I think its chop chop chop carrot.
    Last edited by ftorres; 31-Mar-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Wow ok... I really can't remember all the items on the invoice... but i think i most probably kena tok on the tyres. In any case what I really wanted to find out was whether it was possible to do tuning without piggy back. I noticed they had the tuning computer (not laptop) in the workshop, and my car was not driven out so I guess was on a dyno - I could hear the car revving. Reason why I'm not sure about alot of things was because I was in their lounge upstairs watching TV :P

So reflash of ecu does that mean it's juz a reset? I'm thinking of installing DR, but the guy at FK told me that to tune my ride will need a piggy back. But if Chip Soon Auto is able to tune without ecu, why would I want to buy a piggy back?

Just a simple phone call back to workshop will solve all issue. No need to to presume what they done to your car.

2 ways to tune your ride, one is by piggyback, the other is reflash.

Well, depend on what you really want to tune/achieve like other forumer will say.

Installing DR and tuning is 2 different matter. You can try/install all mod before tune.

You can read more in other threads regarding piggyback and ecu flash.
    Last edited by spizerzero; 31-Mar-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Wow ok... I really can't remember all the items on the invoice... but i think i most probably kena tok on the tyres. In any case what I really wanted to find out was whether it was possible to do tuning without piggy back. I noticed they had the tuning computer (not laptop) in the workshop, and my car was not driven out so I guess was on a dyno - I could hear the car revving. Reason why I'm not sure about alot of things was because I was in their lounge upstairs watching TV :P

So reflash of ecu does that mean it's juz a reset? I'm thinking of installing DR, but the guy at FK told me that to tune my ride will need a piggy back. But if Chip Soon Auto is able to tune without ecu, why would I want to buy a piggy back?
    If i was on a dyno, the workshop will present you with a dyno chart

bro,

i guess they might be just putting your ride on a dyno and that is not necessary = tune. like bro gar mentioned they would have present you with the dyno chart.

I find this quote from google helpful.

"A dynamometer or "dyno" for short, is a device for measuring force, moment of force (torque), or power. For example, the power produced by an engine, motor or other rotating can be calculated by simultaneously measuring torque and rotational speed (rpm)."

so based on the above, a dyno reveals how much your ride potentially could reach. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/03.../photo_01.html in particular based on the mod setup at the point of dyno.

dyno + tune - which requires a 3rd party device such as unichip, piggy or emu as to quote a few commonly used.. so usually;

MODs + dyno - tune = performance gain such as HP or fuel efficient or both.. results varies on the mods you do and most importantly the genie/tuner behind tweak.

MODs + dyno = only tells you on your current performance state. It does not boast any performance except for you will see the pure raw power gain from your MODs. To maximize the potential, you need a chip to tune and tuner requires a dyno to monitor and adjust accordingly.

power is nothing without control, DR is nothing without tuning~ haha.

so if a workshop says they did tuning for you, i suggest you asking them... where is my OREOCHIPs?!?! lol kidding. ask them where is your piggy, unichip, emu located at? if they can show you, you can jolly well go back FK and show them you are ready for DR~~~ WOOT HOOOTTT..

do come for LMC meet ups. i guess nothing beats LIVE sharing from the Bros here.

cheers,

:donatello:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    we study hard so that people don't look down on us, we study even harder so that we don't look down on people...

*p.s I am returning whatever knowledge that is taken from here by posting it back. I am not guru, not pro but just another LMC supporter. :cheers2:

Quote Originally Posted by OreoChips View Post
    bro,

i guess they might be just putting your ride on a dyno and that is not necessary = tune. like bro gar mentioned they would have present you with the dyno chart.

I find this quote from google helpful.

"A dynamometer or "dyno" for short, is a device for measuring force, moment of force (torque), or power. For example, the power produced by an engine, motor or other rotating can be calculated by simultaneously measuring torque and rotational speed (rpm)."

so based on the above, a dyno reveals how much your ride potentially could reach. http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/03.../photo_01.html in particular based on the mod setup at the point of dyno.

dyno + tune - which requires a 3rd party device such as unichip, piggy or emu as to quote a few commonly used.. so usually;

MODs + dyno - tune = performance gain such as HP or fuel efficient or both.. results varies on the mods you do and most importantly the genie/tuner behind tweak.

MODs + dyno = only tells you on your current performance state. It does not boast any performance except for you will see the pure raw power gain from your MODs. To maximize the potential, you need a chip to tune and tuner requires a dyno to monitor and adjust accordingly.

power is nothing without control, DR is nothing without tuning~ haha.

so if a workshop says they did tuning for you, i suggest you asking them... where is my OREOCHIPs?!?! lol kidding. ask them where is your piggy, unichip, emu located at? if they can show you, you can jolly well go back FK and show them you are ready for DR~~~ WOOT HOOOTTT..

do come for LMC meet ups. i guess nothing beats LIVE sharing from the Bros here.

cheers,

:donatello:
    Yea I guess my next servicing I'll check with them what exactly can they do in terms of tuning. I did some research and finally managed to find out what is an ecu reflash: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0130021AAM4zRN

My guess is that the shop did a reflash for me. Oh well, I was hoping I could save abit of $$ by not having to buy a unichip or something...haha... but guess no choice liao. Hoping to join the DR gang as soon as FongKim has stock! :hurray:

Yea I guess my next servicing I'll check with them what exactly can they do in terms of tuning. I did some research and finally managed to find out what is an ecu reflash: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0130021AAM4zRN

My guess is that the shop did a reflash for me. Oh well, I was hoping I could save abit of $$ by not having to buy a unichip or something...haha... but guess no choice liao. Hoping to join the DR gang as soon as FongKim has stock! :hurray:
    If they are charging you things that is not done, I suggest you to stop servicing your car with them. I dun like carrot shop....

Happy motoring. :D

If many people having problem with you, is your problem.........