PDA

View Full Version : Evo X HKS Light Action Twin-Plate Clutch review

Razor
10-Jun-2012, 06:28 PM

If you're looking for a clutch for your Evo X, you can give the HKS LA Twin-Plate a try!

Installation was easy (apart from taking apart the Evo X drivetrain,
which is a bitch =/) and was completed within 6 hours. Another 2 hours would normall be reserved for a Evo 9 clutch pump upgrade, as the stock Evo X clutch pump is plastic and will not be able to handle the load of a higher-capacity clutch.

-First impressions of the clutch were a very light pedal feel. Amazingly, it felt even lighter than the stock Evo X clutch!

-The clutch isn't hard to slip, but you will have to apply abit of acceleration or you risk stalling the car. No more slowly letting go the clutch to move forward slightly! It IS possible to do, but you're gonna have to have a really light foot (helped somewhat by the very light pedal feel!)

-After the biting point, if you release the clutch pedal slightly more, you will feel the full bite of the 650-horsepower-rated clutch, and you'd better already be moving when you do this! I almost stalled the car twice while trying to move upwards on a slope. The clutch DOES let you slip it, but after the slipping point it goes straight into full pressure mode.

-Stationary, you don't get much of the "ice-cream-van" sound that you hear with many dry clutches and twin-plates. However, this doesn't mean you don't get the sound at all. Sometimes, while stationary and clutching in, you DO hear the twin-plate spinning, and so long as you rev above 2.5K rpm while driving and clutch in, you'll hear the twin-plate spooling down!

-The lighter flywheel that's provided together with the HKS LA twin-plate makes your rpms go up faster and smoother! Makes rev-matching a dream!

I'm still in the run-in phase, so I haven't tested launching yet, but from hearsay people have told me that even after using the clutch until it is hot, if you let it cool down, the next day the clutch will be back to normal.

All in all this is a very good clutch, and I shall update on how long it lasts when I have that info! (Long I hope, twin-plates are SO expensive!)

Gargoyle
11-Jun-2012, 10:38 AM
Bro have you tuned your car yet ? Does changing to a lighten flywheel affect your tuning?

ftorres
11-Jun-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't think flywheel affects tuning. ;)

Razor
11-Jun-2012, 07:38 PM
It probably doesn't affect tuning directly, but I guess it will improve performance by letting you rev easier?

B^t
14-Jun-2012, 12:10 AM
Where did you purchase it and how muchy??

Razor
15-Jun-2012, 07:42 PM
Hi bro. Got it at CH Motor for $3,450 not including Evo 9 clutch pump conversion (required) and installation of the clutch itself.

firewar
01-Jul-2012, 09:01 AM
WOW thats expensive. With that price, u can go for almost any brands. I m using ORC twin plate..total including installation and those transmission fluid...not more than $3k..still running on stock clutch pump...even after tracking...still ok lehz...

Razor
16-Jul-2012, 12:54 AM
WOW thats expensive. With that price, u can go for almost any brands. I m using ORC twin plate..total including installation and those transmission fluid...not more than $3k..still running on stock clutch pump...even after tracking...still ok lehz...

Only Garage R brings in HKS what do you expect~ Lol.

I'm thinking of trying Carbonetics next.

Really? Hmm... My workshop told me stock clutch pump cannot tahan... But anyway my stock clutch pump burst liao, and I was using STOCK CLUTCH when it burst somemore -_-"

so anyway I might as well change to Evo 9 clutch pump.